Last week we had to deal with a classic "no backup" horror story...
A client's hosting account was deleted by request, but 48 hours later they realised they hadn't gotten everything out. We lodged a request with the hosting provider to restore the account from backup.
At this stage a "perfect storm" became apparent.
This post is to demonstrate how a Joomla! website configured with a Responsive Design template changes appearance when viewed on different sized devices.
Here is a website I built in 2013 using RocketTheme's Chapelco Joomla! 2.5x template. The layout is configured to a 9:3 ratio (ie. the sidebar space is 25% and the image 75%).
This is displayed on a widescreen PC monitor (note the amount of space on each side):
If your current Joomla! website was built between about 2008 and early 2011, chances are it was created using Joomla! 1.5x, which was the latest stable version available at the time.
However, software is always being improved and updated, and in recent months Joomla! has announced an official release cycle which includes Long Term Support (LTS) releases that are officially supported for about 4 years, and Short Term Support (STS) releases which are only supported for a matter of months. I've always tried to build websites using LTS releases where possible, to enable longer-term stability for my clients, but sometimes there are compelling reasons to do otherwise and sometimes your site creation may fall towards the end of a current LTS so you would not necessarily get a full 4 years. Four years!! It's worse than buying a car! :)
Recently, Posterous announced on their blog that they were closing down on 30th April 2013. Many of you may not have even heard of Posterous, but as a quick explanation - it was a blogging social network that was positioned somewhere between Twitter (a 160 character micro-blog service) and a full-blown blog such as this one. It was most similar as a platform to Tumblr, although Tumblr is far more popular. Posterous was purchased by Twitter in March 2012 and at the time of purchase had 15 million registered users.
Twitter decided a while ago to cut off all access to RSS, and recently angered third party app developers by cutting off their access too. I'm not sure when my RSS feed actually stopped working because I don't visit my own website very often, but I wanted to fix it.
I've just spent a couple of hours fixing up the cover images on my Facebook, Twitter and Google+ business Pages. Of course, they wouldn't make it simple and have them all the same size...
For anybody about to embark on the same exercise, here are the optimum image sizes for each platform: